Shenandoah Growers (“SGI”) is now hiring an Operations Manager (“OM”) for our Packaging House based in the Sherman, TX location. The Operations Manager must have experience working with short life perishables and in a manufacturing and/or production industry. To be selected as the Operations Manager, the individual must be “recharged” through intense challenge in a very fast-paced high-growth organization, being somewhat entrepreneurial, and through having the opportunity to materially influence SGI’s overall success. This position is responsible for ensuring the site’s profitability and ongoing viability by meeting or exceeding production targets and demonstrating excellent leadership, operational management, and people skills. Actively oversees and engages in activities including, but not limited to: the proper production of goods, the proper operation and good repair of equipment, the proper oversight and development of personnel and associated payroll, and the site’s full compliance with all established safety, food safety, and quality standards. The Operations Manager will develop teammates to enhance their potential and must possess strong leadership to direct and inspire others. This position reports to the VP of Operations, West and will have the opportunity to lead projects and actively participate in strategic operations initiatives.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides effective leadership, motivation, and inspiration for the site team; supervises and develops team members to consistently achieve their individual and team goals.
- Leads site management cross-functional collaboration and communications; sets and maintains scheduled individual and team meetings to discuss performance, operational issues, and planning.
- Responsible for initiatives to maximize throughput while maintaining the highest food safety and workplace safety and quality standards in the industry.
- Generates and provides labor and production planning, determines production schedules, and makes necessary modifications based on customer demands, product and material availability, and/or transportation constraints on a continuing basis to ensure all production and delivery deadlines are met.
- Works with corporate and local site leadership to effectively implement SGI policies and goals.
- Creates, maintains, and ensures the proper execution by site personnel, of all formal operational policies, procedures (SOPs), and quality specifications.
- Actively initiate root cause analysis and corrective actions for nonconforming incidents and unusual occurrences within the operation.
- Ensures all new hires meet SGI standards and federal requirements, and that effective staff onboarding and ongoing training programs and activities are conducted in a timely manner.
- Resolves workers’ problems, complaints, and grievances.
- Creates, evaluates, and operates within a budget and spending plan with the assistance of corporate financial personnel.
- Evaluates packaging labor wages as a percentage of sales, and continually monitors the total numbers of labor hours in the work week, eliminating overtime.
- Calculates and projects the labor and equipment requirements along with product specifications using standard formulas.
- Ensures effective communication between receivers and procurement regarding the quantity of product received, and that product quality standards and yield requirements are met.
- Oversees and constantly drives improvement in production processes for consistently optimal outcomes.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the SGI customer and product mix, focusing on order fulfillment and seasonal demands.
- Constantly evaluates the receiving of raw materials and shipping of final goods, and indirect costs, to ensure the lowest cost of goods possible.
- Generates and analyzes periodic reports of employee productivity, seasonal trends, and efficiency at the site.
- Continuously monitors the total yield per pound on an aggregate and specific herb basis.
- Ensures there is efficient and effective communication between all operational shifts and workgroups.
- Maintains interaction and relationships with corporate human resources, marketing, and transportation leadership to effectively execute responsibilities.
- Ensures the appropriate timely procurement and approvals of product, equipment, and materials to optimize resources, minimize waste, and consolidate items and quantities when appropriate.
- Ensures all site personnel receives the necessary initial training, tools, and ongoing coaching necessary for success in their respective positions.
- Ensures compliance with SGI policies, SOP’s, Teammate Handbook and adheres to all applicable state and federal employment requirements.
- Expediently communicates changes and deviations in any established safety, security, quality, and food safety standards and/or requirements.
- Stays up-to-date with HACCP, food safety, and organic certification requirements, ensuring the site continually operates compliantly. Participates in all associated audit activities. Oversees and ensures the effectiveness of the recall program and stays up-to-date with evolving FDA & USDA requirements.
- Remains current on evolving industry technology in relevant equipment and food safety solutions, ensuring continuous improvement in all site operations.
- Accountable for immediately notifying supervisor of any observed safety concerns.
- Maintains a clean, organized working environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree or high school diploma with comparable work experience
- 5+ Years’ experience in a production, distribution or comparable business
- 3+ Years’ Food Processing experience
- 3+ Years’ of supervisory experience
- Strong critical and analytical thinker with problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of principles and procedures for staffing management, including but not limited to hiring and onboarding, recognition and appreciation, employee relations, and performance management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Office 365 programs
- Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
- Highly organized and detailed oriented
- Knows how to manage overlapping projects and keep track of deadlines
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate ability to lead and motivate people
- Ability to communicate effectively with teammates at all levels of the organization
- Intermediate math skills
- Bilingual, English/Spanish
- Ability to travel periodically to meetings or SGI gatherings
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint
- Direct experience with Sage 100
- Lean Six Sigma
SGI utilizes E-Verify and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. In the event you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for this job, please contact our company and appropriate assistance will be provided.