Shenandoah Growers (“SGI”) is now hiring a Production Manager (“PM”) for our Packaging House based in Headquarters located Harrisonburg, VA. The Production Manager must have experience working with short life perishables and in a manufacturing and/or production industry. The Production Manager is someone who is driven by challenge and success in a fast-paced working environment. This position will ensure the site’s viability and profitability by meeting or exceeding production targets using effective management, coordination, and direction of activities and personnel within the facility. Actively oversees and engages in activities including, but not limited to; the proper production of goods, the proper operation and good repair of equipment, the proper oversight and development of personnel and associated payroll, and the site’s full compliance with all established safety, food safety, and quality standards. The Production Manager will develop teammates to enhance their potential and must possess strong leadership to lead others. This position reports to the Production Manager and will have the opportunity to lead projects and actively participate in strategic operations initiatives
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides effective leadership, motivation, and inspiration for the site team; supervises and develops team members to consistently achieve their individual and team goals.
- Leads site management collaboration and communications; sets and maintains scheduled individual and team meetings to discuss performance, operational issues, and planning.
- Generates and provides labor and production planning, determines production schedules, and makes necessary modifications based on customer demands, product, and material availability, and/or transportation constraints on a continuing basis to ensure all production and delivery deadlines are met.
- Works with corporate and local site leadership to effectively implement SGI policies and goals.
- Creates maintains, and ensures the proper execution by site personnel, of all formal operational policies, procedures (SOPs), and quality specifications.
- Actively initiate root cause analysis and corrective actions for nonconforming incidents and unusual occurrences within the operation.
- Ensures all new hires meet SGI standards and federal requirements, and that effective staff onboarding and ongoing training programs and activities are conducted in a timely manner.
- Resolves workers’ problems, complaints, and grievances.
- Creates, evaluates, and operates within a budget and spending plan with the assistance of corporate financial personnel.
- Evaluates packaging labor wages as a percentage of sales, and continually monitors the total numbers of labor hours in the work week, eliminating overtime.
- Calculates and projects the labor and equipment requirements along with product specifications using standard formulas.
- Ensures effective communication between receivers and procurement regarding the quantity of product received, and that it meets quality standards and yield requirements of the packing floor.
- Oversees and constantly improves upon the production process to ensure that it is as efficient and profitable as possible.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the SGI customer and product mix, focusing on order fulfillment and seasonal demands.
- Responsible for all initiatives to maximize throughput while maintaining the highest safety and quality standards in the industry.
- Constantly evaluates the receiving of raw materials and shipping of final goods, and indirect costs, to ensure the lowest cost of goods possible.
- Generates and analyzes periodic reports of employee productivity, seasonal trends, and efficiency at the site.
- Continuously monitors the total yield per pound on an aggregate and specific herb basis.
- Ensures there is efficient and effective communication between all operational shifts and workgroups.
- Maintains interaction and relationships with corporate marketing, procurement, and transportation leadership to effectively execute site activities.
- Ensures the appropriate procurement and approvals of products, equipment, and materials to reduce waste, consolidate items and quantities, and negotiates better prices with suppliers.
- Ensures all site personnel receive the necessary training and tools required for their respective position and adhere to all associated rules and regulations. Expediently communicates changes of any established safety, security, quality, and food safety standards and/or requirements.
- Stays up-to-date with HACCP, food safety, and organic certification requirements, ensuring the site continually operates compliantly. Participates in all associated audit activities. Oversees and ensures the vitality of the recall program, and stays up-to-date with evolving FDA & USDA requirements
- Stays up-to-date with evolving industry technology in equipment and food safety solutions, ensuring continuous improvement in all site operations.
- Accountable for immediately notifying supervisor of any observed safety concerns.
- Maintains a clean working environment.
- Performs other duties as directed
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ Years Food Processing experience
- 3+ Years of supervisory experience
- Strong analytical thinker with problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation, and benefits
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Office 365 programs
- Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
- Highly organized and detailed oriented
- Knows how to manage overlapping projects and keep track of deadlines
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate an ability to lead and motivate people
- Ability to communicate effectively with teammates at all levels of the organization
- Basic math
- Bilingual, English & Spanish
- Ability to travel if needed
- Sage 100
- Working knowledge and experience in Lean Six Sigma
SGI utilizes E-Verify and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. In the event you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for this job, please contact our company and appropriate assistance will be provided.